1. Get Your Best Skin A professional makeup artist will be able to examine and give recommendations for improving your skin, so you can have the most flawless makeup application on your wedding day. This is one reason why a trial makeup is so important. Your makeup artist will be able to tell you if your skin is dry and needs to be exfoliated, give tips to avoid flaky lips, and suggest if you need to make a visit to your esthetician or dermatologist.
2. Knowledge is Power A professional makeup artist will be trained in the art of highlighting your best features and contouring any imperfections. They will know how to fix your brows to best frame your eyes and cover that last minute pimple. Did you know that using a foundation with SPF in it will make you look like a ghost in flash photography? If not, then you should consider leaving your wedding makeup to a professional.
3. You Are Worth It You have spent so much money on your photographer, your dress, your venue…why would you skimp on your face? You will be looking at your wedding photographs for the rest of your life. Although you may do a great job on your everyday makeup, for your wedding day, hire someone who specializes in makeup for photography.
4. It’s Not About the Money, Honey If you are planning on DIYing your wedding day makeup, you should have a professional makeup lesson first, and then plan on spending hundreds of dollars on makeup and products that you may never use again. You will most likely be nervous and shaking on your wedding day, so keep that in mind, your nerves may get the best of you!
5. You Get What You Pay For You will find a large range of prices for makeup artists in your area. If there is a makeup artist sporting super cheap prices for on-location wedding makeup, they are most likely lacking experience. Book with a professional with a portfolio, reviews, and a good reputation, because it is not worth hiring the wrong person for your wedding day!
6. Camera Ready A professional makeup artist will have you looking gorgeous in person and in photographs. Your makeup will be flawless and last all day and night! They can suggest false lashes when your natural ones just won’t cut it, and you will be amazed at how gorgeous you can look in your wedding photographs, just by hiring the right makeup artist!
7. Be Stress Free An on-location makeup artist will come to your location of choice. They will create an environment where you will feel pampered and totally relaxed before the festivities begin. They will save you time from having to run from one location to the next and will keep everything on a scheduled timeline.
8. Your Party Will Be Perfect A professional makeup artist will take into consideration each bridesmaid's coloring and personal style to create a unique but uniform look for your entire bridal party. This will avoid the issue of the one bridesmaid who loves shimmery silver eyeshadow and looks like she has disco balls on her eyelids, or the one bridesmaid who refuses to wear makeup and looks half dead in your photographs. I’m not even kidding!
9. Be the Center of Attention
Just because you have a cousin or bridesmaid who knows how to apply makeup, that doesn't mean that she will do a great job on your wedding day makeup. Most likely she will have a lot going on and things to do that day to get herself ready, you won't be her center of attention, and your makeup may suffer because of it. A professional makeup artist makes it his or her job to make sure that the bride is the most important face of the day!
10. Trials, Reviews, and Attitudes With the exception of being an out of town bride, all brides should have a trial with their makeup artist before their wedding day. You will want to meet them and make sure that your personalities are compatible, because they will be the one person all up in your face at the most crucial part of your day. You should be able to communicate your ideas or concerns and receive timely responses on emails and phone calls. They will be willing to work within your comfort zone, but will also advise you on your best look, so you know you will look and feel amazing!